CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sharing...

I was in complete shock to hear what I heard this morning. One of my favoritve actors has cancer, pancreatic cancer. Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer. I was devastated. My mother died from that. But she was dignoased with it early and didn't have a chance to go through chemotherapy.
I work in a Oncology/Hematology office so I see alot of cancer. Alot of different kinds that people don't even think about. I've lost a few patients in the last few months due to the battle they had with cancer.
As my doctor, that I work with says, " CHEMOTHERAPY WON'T CURE THE CANCER, IT'LL HELP IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE". I honestly believe that.
Now days there is so much more advance techology to check and look for these types of cancers before it's too late.
I see alot of women with breast cancer and men with either colon or prostate cancer. But I'm seeing a lot more of lung cancer, ovarian cancer and rectal cancer. But alot of these people have been coming into our office for years for chemo and have made it. But it gets really hard when it starts to spead. The worse place for it to spread is the bones. And with alot of cancers that is what happens. We call it mestastics, or for short "mets". You then know it's a long hard ride for them.
In my job I have to deal with telling patients and their loved ones, they have cancer. And then most of them get terrified when they learn they need chemo. But I give them information to read about the drugs they will be getting. And when I check on them in the chemo room, that seems to make them feel better.
I honestly believe that everyone CAN BEAT CANCER, given time.
As far as the the Hematology part that I deal with, it's mainly patient with anemia,and sickle cell disease. I've learned alot about those too.
There are times I wish I was in a different practice but seeing those patients that I get to goof off with makes my day.

I just thought I'd share this with you.
Thanks for listening.

0 comments: