CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Made me think??????

I was off work last Fri. and agreed to have dinner with my best friend Wendy that night.
As I pull up to her house, my friend from work calls to tell that a dear and sweet patient of mine had passed away. He had just gotten back from the hospital and wasn't really doing too good.
On Thurs. night, the last time I saw or took care of him; he was like his old self. He use to rub my arm. Well he did this as I was feeding him.
I never really knew what this man was like or what he did in his life.......until I read his obuartiary. He was a very smart man. Here is some of it:

" During World War II, he worked for Douglas Aircraft in the design and production of the aluminum wings of the C-54 cargo plane. Following the war, he had a distinguished 26-year career as a project engineer and executive for Reynolds Metals Co. During that time, he developed the extrusion process for producing the first seamless aluminum drink cans. He was also instrumental in introducing to the nation the use of aluminum foil for cooking. Following his retirement from Reynolds, he served as director of Buildings and Grounds for Virginia Commonwealth University, including the 50-building hospital campus of the Medical College of Virginia. He was also active in the Boy Scouts. After he achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, he served as a local and regional scout leader for 25 years, including service as the Chicago Area District Boy Scout Commissioner. The family wishes to thank the staff at Chesapeake Healthcare for their extraordinary care during his stay."

That makes one really think what did this person do with their life.
I basically take care of people for a living. That is my career. And come to find out, this was a very smart man.
What are people going to say about me when I pass on? I miss him and still have a hard time walking into to his room. Because for the past 5 1/2 months, I helped take care of this man. But he always did tell me "thank-you" for anything I did for him.
Why can't some of the older people I take care of be like that? It also makes me think, "What kind of person am I gonna be when I get older or if I end up where someone has to help take care of me? No one knows how we will be when we are older and have to depend on someone else to help or take care of us. I just hope that I turn out to like some of the good ones that I have been able to help take care of.




0 comments: